Department of Defense photo

U.S. Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, answers questions during a press conference at the Pentagon.

The United States, Britain, and France pounded Syria in a coordinated air strike in response to a chemical weapons attack that killed approximately 60 people last week. The U.S.-led coalition is being dubbed the biggest intervention by Western powers in Syria’s civil war.

Secretary of Defense James Mattis called the strikes a “one time shot” and said that they were aimed at Syrian government’s chemical weapons infrastructure. “Right now we have no additional attacks planned,” Mattis said Friday evening from the Pentagon.

Speaking alongside Mattis, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford named three targets that were struck in the military operation which began at 9 p.m. EST time.

The first target was the Syrian Scientific Studies and Research Center, a government body responsible for research and development of advanced weapons systems.

“The second target was a chemical weapons storage facility west of Homs, we access that this was the primary location of Syrian sarin and precursor production equipment,” Dunford said.

The last target was a chemical weapons storage facility as well as a military command post.

And while Dunford would not describe the military assets that were deployed, he added that, “this wave of air strikes is over.”

“Clearly, the Assad regime did not get the message last year,” Mattis said.

“Together we have sent a clear message to Assad and his murderous lieutenants that they should not perpetrate another chemical weapons attack for which they will be held accountable.”



Source link

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY