Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Los Angeles Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson said Tuesday the organization “did cross a line” in its interactions with former Indiana Pacers forward Paul George and noted he takes “full responsibility.”

Johnson appeared on SportsCenter to discuss the situation, which resulted in a $500,000 fine from the NBA.

“This happened on my watch. It doesn’t affect [controlling owner] Jeanie Buss; she’s been an excellent boss. I love her to death. I love working for her,” he said. “But, at the same time, you have to take ownership and accountability, and so I will do that.”

Johnson added: “Would I admit we did something wrong? No, I would never admit that because we haven’t, but at the same time we have.”

The NBA stated in its news release that “communications by Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka with the agent representing Paul George … constituted a prohibited expression of interest in the player while he was under contract.” The league also noted Los Angeles had previously been warned after comments by Johnson during an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live in April.

“The investigation did not reveal evidence of an agreement or understanding that the Lakers would sign or acquire Mr. George,” the NBA stated.

Previous article'Star Wars: Episode IX' Release Date Pushed Back to December 2019
Next articleNorth Korea threatens US with 'greatest pain' after UN sanctions

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY